Monday, August 10, 2009

Assaignment 1: Should I Stay of Should I Go?

Most immigrants to the Unites States today are motivated by hopes of freedom and ecomonic prosperity. Though they will lose many things; they might have to leave their family and friends and all but the most essential possessions behind; they gain many things. They can escape oppressive governments, achieve assylum from persecution, earn higher wages, and have all the rights granted to every citizen of the United States.
Personally, I plan to make aliyah. Aliyah means return in Hebrew, to make aliyah is when a Jew immigrates to the holy land of Israel. I would not go for economic or freedom issues, instead to go to Israel means many other things to me, a Jew-by-choice. It means a chance to be part of a country, a family of Jews. It means a chance to defend my people by serving in the Israeli Defence Forces. It means to escape a country where Christianity is so prevalent it has become oppressive. It means to see a beautiful country, a paradise. But, most of all, it means to fufill a longing that is impossible to explain, it means to finally be whole again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This post is fantastic. Thank you for answering the questions so thoughtfully. I hope you are able to make aliyah, too.

    Please keep the excellent posts coming. 20/20 points.

    ReplyDelete